- Jive Talkin’– Bee Gees (released 1975, album “Main Course”, Funk, Disco)
- Step into My Office, Baby – Belle & Sebastian (released 2003, album “Dear Catastrophe Waitress”, Chamber Pop)
- Spanish Harlem – Ben E. King (released 1960, album “Spanish Harlem”, Soul)
- Stand by Me – Ben E. King (released 1961, album “Don’t Play That Song!”, Rhythm and Blues)
- Needle of Death – Bert Jansch (1965, album “Bert Jansch”, Folk)
- St. Louis Blues – Bessie Smith (released 1925, Blues)
- Need a Little Sugar in My Bowl – Bessie Smith (released 1931, Blues)
- Today I Started Loving You Again – Bettye Swann (released 1973, Soul)
- Crazy in Love – Beyonce (released 2003, album “Dangerously in Love”, Hip Hop, Fun, R&B)
- Drunk In Love – Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z (released 2013, album “Beyonce”, R&B, Hip Hop, Trap)
- Kerosene – Big Black (released 1986, album “Atomizer”, Punk Rock)
- Piece of My Heart – Big Brother & The Holding Company (released 1968, album “Cheap Thrills”, Blues Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Acid Rock)
- Shake, Rattle and Roll – Big Joe Turner & His Blues Kings (released 1954, album “Rock & Roll”, Blues, R&B)
- Thirteen – Big Star (released 1972, album “#1 Record”, Folk, Pop)
- (We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock – Bill Haley & His Comets (released 1954, album “Rock Around the Clock”, Rock and Roll, Rockabilly)
- Strange Fruit – Billie Holiday (released 1939, Blues, Jazz)
- Gloomy Sunday – Billie Holiday (released 1941, Blues)
- God Bless The Child – Billie Holiday (released 1942, Jazz)
- Love for Sale – Billie Holiday (released 1954, album “Billie Holiday”, Jazz)
- A New England – Billy Bragg (released 1983, album “Life’s a Riot With Spy vs. Spy”)
Title: In Cold Blood
Author: Truman Capote
Publication Date: 1966
Genre: Non-Fiction / True Crime
Synopsis: On November 15, 1959, in the small town of Holcomb, Kansas, four members of the Clutter family were savagely murdered by blasts from a shotgun held a few inches from their faces. There was no apparent motive for the crime, and there were almost no clues.
As Truman Capote reconstructs the murder and the investigation that led to the capture, trial, and execution of the killers, he generates both mesmerizing suspense and astonishing empathy. In Cold Blood is a work that transcends its moment, yielding poignant insights into the nature of American violence.
My Book Report: Very different from the type of fiction I normally read. This was pretty good. “In Cold Blood is regarded by critics as a pioneering work in the true crime genre” Now I can watch the movie.
1001 Books to Read Before You Die
Synopsis: Winston Smith toes the Party line, rewriting history to satisfy the demands of the Ministry of Truth. With each lie he writes, Winston grows to hate the Party that seeks power for its own sake and persecutes those who dare to commit thought crimes. But as he starts to think for himself, Winston can’t escape the fact that Big Brother is always watching…
A startling and haunting vision of the world, 1984 is so powerful that it is completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the influence of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of multiple generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions—a legacy that seems only to grow with the passage of time.
My Book Report: I am not sure if I want to do a book report/review for each one. I will definitely let you know on ones I absolutely hated.
1001 Books to Read Before You Die
Synopsis: For twelve thousand years the Galactic Empire has ruled supreme. Now it is dying. But only Hari Sheldon, creator of the revolutionary science of psychohistory, can see into the future–to a dark age of ignorance, barbarism, and warfare that will last thirty thousand years. To preserve knowledge and save mankind, Seldon gathers the best minds in the Empire–both scientists and scholars–and brings them to a bleak planet at the edge of the Galaxy to serve as a beacon of hope for a future generations. He calls his sanctuary the Foundation.
But soon the fledgling Foundation finds itself at the mercy of corrupt warlords rising in the wake of the receding Empire. Mankind’s last best hope is faced with an agonizing choice: submit to the barbarians and be overrun–or fight them and be destroyed.
My Book Report: I am not sure if I want to do a book report/review for each one. I will definitely let you know on ones I absolutely hated. This one was a pretty easy read, short chapters of different situations through the years. If I think of more to add I will.